So, previously I managed to get my Ubuntu Pygame working in Windows 7 64bit. It was a little difficult to setup because on Windows PyGame expects Python’s IDLE to be 32bit, so I had to install the 32bit version of the IDLE before I was up and running.
Today I decided to test my game on my dad’s secondhand Mac Book Pro 64Bit (2009 model). I ran into many problems and have found the Mac to be just that more harder than Ubuntu and Windows 7 so far. Anyhow, I have to run a slightly older Python IDLE version and PyGame version for things to work out.
After trying many different guides for OS X 10.7, I stumbled upon this blog. The only solution that worked for me: link.
After struggling for a couple of hours, I’ve managed to get my game running properly on the Mac. Everything works. I’ve got my apple falling in a continuous loop. I’ve got my moveable basket on the x-axis. I have collision detected between the apple and basket appropriately. Most importantly, I have my particle system made up of self drawn stars working smoothly on this rather old hardware! It’s only a Core 2 Duo with an Nvidia 9400M GS but with 4GB of DDR3 RAM. I was very worried it might bug out or slow down to extremes, but so far it’s all smooth. The real test of course will be when I have multiple things happening at once such as score updating, particle systems starting and stopping, and multiple apples/fruits dropping and being deleted properly later on. For now though, I am happy the base game works.
Here’s a look at the game running on my Mac Book.
Lastly, I found it quite hard to locate ~/.idlerc to put the config-highlight.cfg file into. I dislike the IDLE’s bright white background. So I usually use this guy’s themes: link.
I found that the hidden .idlerc folder is located right inside the Users/Username folder. In my system, my folder is called iptv. Basically I copied my .cfg file in the terminal and directed it into the .idlerc folder, since I couldn’t find any way to make the hidden folder visible in the default file browser window. The following picture is basically the whole process of setting up the .cfg into the right directory for the IDLE to detect it on my system.
After that, it was just a matter of going into Python’s IDLE and setting it to use the tango theme. IDLE -> Preferences -> Highlighting -> Custom Theme and then selecting tango from the drop down menu. Looks like I’m now set up on all three OS’s, and can start adding further game functionality in the times to come. In the meanwhile, my Unity 3D project and Matlab Audio project are due…